Living Healthy with Diabetes
Diabetes workshop a success at CFMC
A six-week “Living Healthy with Diabetes” workshop conducted by the Piedmont Triad Regional Council Area Agency on Aging was held at Caswell Family Medical Center in Yanceyville, NC recently. Adrienne Calhoun, Assistant Director of Caswell’s Area Agency on Aging headed up the workshop.
Four individuals from Caswell County completed the six-week evidence-based workshop that ran from November 1st to December 6th, 2017. Two of the participants were referred from physicians at Caswell Family Medical Center, and two individuals signed up after seeing the program marketed by the Caswell County Senior Center.
Topics covered in the workshop included (but are not limited to):
- Healthy eating and planning a balanced meal
- The importance of physical activity and how it affects blood sugar
- The importance of monitoring blood sugar
- Self-management skills such as problem-solving, goal setting, and decision-making
- How to communicate with your healthcare team
Adrienne Calhoun stated that, “Since the workshop is held in a group setting, there is a chance for individuals to share their own experiences and learn from the facilitators and each other. It also invites accountability as participants set goals each week and have to come back to the gropu to report on results.
After completing the workshop, participants felt more confident that they could:
- Make a plan of action with goals to help control their diabetes
- Ask their provider questions about their diabetes
- Figure out a solution when a new problem (or problems) arise with their diabetes
A follow-up is expected at six months and one year to review the participant’s A1c test results. Holding another Diabetes workshop is being discussed. Congratulations to those who participated and completed the workshop.
For more information on this topic, please contact the Piedmont Triad Regional Council (PTRC) today at (336) 904-0300, or visit them at PTRC.org.